Saturday, April 26, 2008

Absolutely Sweet Marie by George Harrison - ***

First released: 1993

I hate to say it, but unlike The Beatles, I have never been a big Bob Dylan fan. I have had many discussions with Dylan fans that don’t understand my dislike and actually despise the fact that I make a comparison of Dylan to Yoko. Hear me out. I feel that Bob Dylan and Yoko Ono are both excellent songwriters, and both cannot sing. Case in point this tune, which has one thing really going for it, which is George Harrison in a rare live performance sings lead vocals on Dylan’s 30th Anniversary Concert from 1992 and the subsequent CD release "The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" the next year. Dylan himself originally recorded it for his "Blonde on Blonde" album in 1966 and even he never performed it live until 1988.

No comments: