Sunday, May 4, 2008

Admiral Halsey by Paul McCartney - ****

First released: 1971

Actually released as part of the "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" medley from the "Ram" album, this was a big hit in 1971, though amazing stopped short of the #1 spot! It is easily one of my favorite Beatles tunes, group or solo. Critics complain about the banality and choppiness of it all, but songs that shift gears are a McCartney specialty (note "Band on the Run" for example), I like it because it really sounds Beatlesque, so much so that you could swear that it’s Lennon trading vocals with McCartney, but it’s McCartney all the way. It also appears on 1978’s "Wings Greatest", 1987’s "All The Best" and 2001’s "Wingspan".

1 comment:

Lee Hester said...

I agree with you. I just love that tune, every time I hear it. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!

It ranks up there with Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys as a perfect song, in my opinion.

Who cares if the lyrics are hard to fathom. It just adds layers to the mystery of the song, and provides extra interest each time one hears it.

- Lee Hester