Wednesday, June 4, 2008

All Together Now by The Beatles - ***

First released: 1968

One of four “throwaway” songs The Beatles dashed off for "Yellow Submarine". It actually isn’t that bad considering the very simple lyrics. McCartney has used dopey lyrics like this later on (see "Driving Rain", for example), but here it comes across as charming in its simplicity. It was successfully released as a single in some countries, though not the US or the UK. It's also on 1999's "Yellow Submarine Songtrack".

I always liked it when San Francisco TV station KTVU used this song with an interesting edit for a children’s public service announcement about race relations back in the 70s. The line “can I take my friend to bed?” was removed for possible sexual overtones. Like kids would think that. I was a kid when I first heard the song probably around 1971 or 2, and I didn’t even think anything of the line.

No comments: