Saturday, February 14, 2009

Check My Machine by Paul McCartney – **

First released: 1980

Eventually making its way on to the CD version of "McCartney II", this song was originally released as a b-side to "Waterfalls". The song is not much, just saying “Check My Machine” over and over again ad infinitum. The highlight for me (especially at the time of release) was the small samples of Mel Blanc’s voice from a couple of Looney Tunes cartoon soundtracks. The “Hi George, Morning Terry” exchange comes from a cartoon which starts out at a zoo where two zoo animals greet each other; the “down, down, down, down, down” is Yosemite Sam at his best; and “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me” I believe is from a Sylvester cartoon. I could be wrong, but this is a Beatles book, not a Looney Tunes book. You’ll have to ask my friend Jerry Beck for more details.

No comments: