Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dear Yoko by John Lennon – ***

First released: 1980

I really liked this tune when it came out, but was disappointed that John composed basically a remake of "Oh Yoko" from "Imagine". I wasn’t as big of a Yoko fan and didn’t understand why John would want to waste lyrics writing about Yoko, when he could take this jaunty tune and write about something else. It’s almost as if I went around singing "I Am Woman" (which I have since because now I don’t give a shit what other people think when I sing to myself. I’m not crazy…really I’m not.). This was the last new track we heard from John Lennon during his lifetime (unless you played the "Double Fantasy" album out of order). It’s also on "The John Lennon Collection" from 1982 and 1990’s "Lennon". A demo version appears on 1998’s "The John Lennon Anthology" and 2004’s "Acoustic".

No comments: