Sunday, June 6, 2010

Miss O’Dell by George Harrison – ***

First released: 1973

Originally the b-side to the hit single of "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)", but not included on the "Living in the Material World" album (or any album for that matter) until the 2006 CD reissue. When I first heard it, I thought Harrison’s laughter was forced, as it seemed to occur at the same time on each verse. Later, on a bootleg I heard an alternate take where he doesn’t laugh. I now realize that George was sincerely laughing, but I really don’t know at what exactly. Coincidentally around this song’s original release, my sister and I both had a fourth grade teacher with this name and so I always kind of think of her when this song is played. My Miss O’Dell was a heavy set woman who liked to sing and actually resembled Kate Smith.

No comments: