Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Bad Boy" by Ringo Starr – ***

First released: 1978

A return to form of sorts for Ringo, but the damage of "Ringo’s Rotogravure" and "Ringo the 4th" had been done, coupled with a so-so TV special that’s of the “so bad, it’s good” variety. Some of Ringo’s best tunes are on this album like "Heart on My Sleeve", "Who Needs a Heart" and "Hard Times", but there’s also a lot of inappropriate filler, too. It might have fared better if "Heart on My Sleeve" was issued as the first single instead of "Lipstick Traces" (in the US) or "Tonight" (in the UK).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bad Boy was an album which I had searched high and low to find back in the late 70s and never did until the late 0's on cd. What an album. I really enjoyed this era of Ringo, probably because I grew up with Rotogravure and Ringo the 4th. Thses albums get panned alot, but for the new listener, keep an open mind and enjot the mellow sounds of Richie.