Saturday, March 13, 2010

Got to Get You Into My Life by The Beatles – ****

First released: 1966

It is a toss up for me whether this or Earth, Wind and Fire’s version of this song is the best one. I’ll call it a tie and I usually am not very fond of cover versions. I love the brass instruments of The Beatles version and I love the soul bounce of the EWF version. Play ‘em back to back and marvel at the perfection of this great song that became a single hit in 1976, showing its strength as a composition a full 10 years after being first released. Originally it was from Revolver. The single was used to promote the "Rock ‘n’ Roll Music" compilation. A demo version appears on "Anthology 2" in 1996.

Different live versions were performed by Paul on 1981’s "Concerts for the People of Kampuchea", 1990’s "Tripping the Live Fantastic" and on 2009’s "Good Evening New York City".

No comments: