Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall, A by Bob Dylan – ***

First released: 1971

George Harrison introduces Bob Dylan at "The Concert for Bangla Desh" and isn’t quite sure whether he’ll actually show up. Since Dylan tours endlessly nowadays, I didn’t realize how significant this was in 1971. You’ll note by my comments that I am not the biggest fan of Bob Dylan. He’s a much better songwriter than singer and I have prompted anger in fans when I compare Dylan to Yoko Ono, whom I feel is also a great songwriter and a lousy singer. I know The Beatles LOVE Bob Dylan, but they also LOVED cigarettes. Dylan’s nasal singing of “It’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard…” is VERY hard for me to listen to, but it is for charity so I’ll keep it on. Originally, this was from "The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan" album from 1963.

No comments: