Sunday, January 2, 2011

You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) by The Beatles – ****

First released: 1970

This is one of my favorite Beatles tracks. I especially like the still unreleased full stereo version. The longest version available is on 1996's "Anthology 2", and even this one is cut short! Most Beatles fans are either unaware or hate this track thinking it is too silly. Of course, it is, but I still can’t fail to laugh everytime I hear Lennon do his mumbling shtick on the latter half of the record, complete with belches and burps. It somehow eluded inclusion on any album until 1980’s "Rarities" and originally was the b-side to "Let It Be". Lennon toyed with the idea of putting it out as a Plastic Ono Band single, but it was finally issued as a Beatles track. It first appeared on CD on 1988's "Past Masters, Volume Two".

No comments: